Tuesday, February 4, 2014

doing my paper/ assignment one process

Finishing my paper

            So I decided considering that it would be a good idea to do this blog on the process of completing my final paper, and what went through my head and all that good stuff.
            For starters, I had no idea how to write something like Frank O’Hara’s “Second Avenue”. The man must have been born with a photographic memory and read the dictionary at one point in his life because I was looking up half the words.  As this assignment is open to interpretation, I wanted to write something generally unique, something that wasn’t hard to read but at the same time wasn’t meant for a third grader. It then occurred to me that it would be fun to do a poem about something that most people are uncomfortable with; mast********.
            Once I came up with the topic, I began writing it. Yes, there is visual image with in the poem, but I thought again it would be fun to write a poem where you don’t want to see the visual image. After all poems that I have read about animals, nature, and love, I thought it would be in my best interest to write something that I have never seen before, and hence, me coming back to the topic of choice.  The goal now was to write this in a way to easy to understand, but not to simplified, hence the easy four line stanza’s, with occasional rhythm in almost a sound poetry kind of way. I wrote it almost like I would write a song, easy to follow, but open to some degree of interpretation.
            Next, I wanted to add a little more spice to the mix, having a poem about just the said topic I felt like would be weird. I decided on putting a confused person as the person writing the poem, explaining how he was no good at writing poetry, and finally deciding about writing about such a ridiculous topic. I italicized all the lines that his character wrote, and wrote the one’s he didn’t in a normal fashion. While I was wondering if I should do a one italicized one not, and so on type of pattern, I attempted this and was easily discouraged. I decided on shear randomness on splitting the parts, which made sense considering the content of the poem.

            Finally, my poem was complete. It was something I had never wrote before, and oddly enough I was proud of this little poem. I felt like it had a good sense of humor, something that seems to be largely lacking in other poems that I read. So that is all that went into my poem, and trust my, “I have no idea what I’m doing”, but I’m willing to try anything.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, trying is the key, and trying to have fun with the trying of the writing... sounds great!

    ReplyDelete